A root canal is an endodontic dental procedure used when removing the infected or decayed soft tissue inside a tooth to prolong its life is necessary. According to one report, more than 15 million root canals are performed in the United States each year.
Dr. Richard Lee, DDS, and Dr. Michael Chan, DDS, from Balentine Plaza Dental Care in Newark, California, are award-winning dentists who perform a host of dental treatments to help keep your pearly whites healthy, including root canal procedures.
If you believe you require a root canal procedure done, here’s what you can expect:
Steps Involved in a Root Canal Procedure
A typical root canal procedure involves six steps. Let’s take a closer look at them:
- Dr. Lee, our in-house prosthodontist, will take an X-ray of your teeth to determine the shape of the root canals. He will check for any signs of infection in the surrounding bone. Dr. Lee will then use local anesthesia to numb the region near the infected tooth.
- Next, Dr. Lee will place a rubber dam to prevent saliva from trickling down around the tooth.
- In the third step, Dr. Lee will drill into the tooth to access the soft tissue. Here, the dentist will remove the bacteria, the pulp, and the damaged nerve tissue and clean it with root canal files. Dr. Lee will then spray a sodium hypochlorite solution to flush out the debris.
- After cleaning, Dr. Lee will seal the tooth with a sealant. Depending on the infection, Dr. Lee may put medication inside to help clear it up.
- To fill the root canal, Dr. Lee will use a rubber compound called gutta-percha and add a filling material to close the access created at the beginning of the treatment.
- The last step may involve making further reinforcements in case the tooth sustained extensive damage. Dr. Lee may suggest a crown, a crown with a post, or other prosthodontics, to restore the tooth to its full function.
Get in touch with Balentine Plaza Dental Care to know more about root canal procedures. Call (510) 656-4400 or visit our office at 5866 Mowry School Road, Newark, CA 94560 for a consultation.